Sunday, January 11, 2009

One Fourth Irish

My mother was likely Scott and Prussian; my father Norwegian and Irish. My father once told me that his father said to him, "Remember son, all Irishmen are wits, and you are half Irish."


Given my background you may have the kindness to forgive how I begin this bit of history. I begin with a pure heart and a tear in my eye.

Holy places and powers be.

We are descended from a race of bards and heroes and there was once an age of gold.
Remember.
Let your memory be deep and fine.
No need to remember too sharply the giants, fire, and advancing sea. Better to remember some proper names older than the Dagda. Remember the times before the Tuatha De Danann and let your memories be stirred.
Trust your memories enough for there are finer things there.
Be ready to embrace the truth.

Remember a short time ago to a time just before the viking Norsemen came to North America. Remember the men who came from places we now call Wales, Scotland, Ireland came with pre-Celtic memories moving down the hills of Kentucky.

Now, back again to times before the bright gods of Asgard. Yes, even then your ass was guarded.

Study of pre-Christian North and Western Europe has often been based in the medieval literature of Iceland and Ireland. Still, there are things to be learned from the earlier Romans and Greeks, and earlier yet. From the Greeks come hints of iron bearing Celt coming west as early as a golden age. They were clearer about iron bearing Celt moving west at the end of the bronze age. Some called those later Celt Galatians.

More is prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive