Monday, March 08, 2010

Milk That Cow In Comfort

There seems to have been a certain continuity of Bronze Age culture between about 2000 BC and 1000 BC in what we now call Scandinavia and north western Europe.

During that period people and animals were housed together in what we may call Longhouses. The milk cow was very important. Milk with it's by-products was an important dietary item. Cheese was made. During or just prior to this period a gene against lactose intolerance my have emerged amongst these people. Cows may have been kept inside to encourage continuation of milk production through cold winters.

These people may have been raiders and subject to raids by others.

The above mentioned practices were found among Saxons and Frisians of a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive