Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ethlinn

Ethlinn is an important feminine name in the early hist of the people of Ireland. Three example of the many variations of the name are Ena, Ethniu, Eithne. At the moment Ethlinnn seems the most congenial to me.



I'll call my notions of the story of Ethlinn, history. Others have called it myth or of a religious nature. Others still have called it just a story.



Stories are great, but Here I intend to only briefly outline my understanding of Ethlinn's place in history.



Her place is just between two important peoples of early Ireland, the Fomorian are one and the Tuatha De Danann the other. I believe that they were both on the island before the steel carrying Celts. I think it well to call both of these early peoples carriers of bronze Age cultures. The Danann may be important to the origins of people called Sheehan.



Our Ethlinn is the daughter of a Fomorian leader called Balor. She came to know a man called Cian and was the son of Dian Cecht of the Tuatha De Danann. Cian and Ethlinn married and produced a son who was called Lugh. I've written of the bog Lug in earlier posts.



That's it, Cian and Ethlinn through their marriage join two important peoples of earlier Ireland.

It would not be correct to say that they lived happily ever after. Still, their joining has been important to to the formation of the Irish people.


Ethlinn and here story may be associated with Tory Island, leanan sidhe, Birog, Gavida, Manannan mac Lir, the Dagda, strife, Ogma, Fir Bolg, Teltown and much more. Sidhe means something like 'the magic person of the fairy mounds' and is some times pronounced shee, which is the sigular of Sheehan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive