Thursday, March 05, 2009

Thoughts While Driving

My calculations did not keep me from enjoying the countryside. Did not stay completely in the `here and now` for my memory was taken back to times of WW II. Seem to be getting ahead of myself a bit. Still let me give you a sample memory.
I was not yet five years old, I find myself sitting with my father at a tiny fire far out on the desert. He is drunk. With us (or we with them) are two indians; they do not speak English. They do not speak much at all. They are thin muscular men as short as my father. They have open white shirts and dark skin. The dark skin shines in the fire light. They look very much alike and could be brothers. They may have drunk some with my father, but I now suspet that they were high on something other than alcohol. Thinking back I now also suspect that they were Yaqui.
They `sang` to the coyotes. Maybe it is better said that they spoke beautifully with the coyotes. I liked it. It seem that they spoke and the coyotes answered. It seemed that the coyotes spoke and they answered. It was an intimate than loud conversation.
I may have felt safer had my father been sober, but still the memory is good.

Looking back I suspect that it was not a good time for my parents. I think my father was having troubling thoughts about being a husband and father. I think he had just hepled my mother to get a late term abortion and that she was begining a depression. I think that the abortion was badly done and left long term phisycal damage as well as lasting psychological damage.

The spell check here is in Spanish. I hope you will forgive my spelling errors.

Thoughts while traveling often differ from the thoughts typical of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive