Friday, November 14, 2008

Family Pedigree One

My interest in my family background has grown a bit. I know a bit of it from having lived it. I learned a bit more by attending to stories told by parents and other relatives. Those stories were usually interesting, but not always reliable. Just a very few years ago I began to realize that my sister's interest in our family background was practical, active, and quite well developed. She had, through practice and study, gained a high level technical knowledge of genealogical research. She is the expert on our family pedigree.
A bit or her enthusiasm rubbed-off on me. Then she told me that my neice, Gloria, had had some DNA testing done. Sounded like something easy enough for me to do. I could sit back and let others do the work. I contacted Gloria about the testing. I was easily convinced that if I were tested, my results would complinment the results of her testing and visa versa.
I sent an inner cheek sample (just like on TV) to Genealogy by Genetics at http://www.familytreedna.com and had myself tested for 67 markers.
No compliments yet, but I have begun to learn a bit about genealogy; genealogy by paper-trail research and genealogy by genetics. Learn the most by looking at the results of my sister's research. "Paper-trail" research does seem to be the most fruiful.
Still, when a paper trail is lost, genetics, it appears, has a chance of finding it again.
My sister now tell me that her other daughter, Debra, has developed her family tree so far as to have over 8000 individuals in it!

7950 or thos individuals must be from her husbans family. The development of my family tree seems to be barred my a number of 'bars sinistre' as well as by the results of political disturbances in Prussia and Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive