Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Myanmar Connection

Phongyi

My understanding at the moment is that in M a phongi is much like a bando monk. Bando is and ancient Hindu Buddhist system of non-violence. It is also a system of empty-hand self-defence sometimes used in defense of Buddhist temple schools. The discipline may not always be empty-handed.

Still the bando monk system, well pursued, is based on principles of non-violence and is used as a way of developing the body, mind, and spirit to achieve harmony with oneself, with others, with nature.

Bando monks are storied to have disarmed an opponent with a naked blade while the monk's sword remained sheathed. their high purpose was to do minimum damage to an opponent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive