Monday, December 01, 2008

Shotgun

The Cupeno band of Indians was moved off Warner Ranch in 1903 and relocated to the Pala reservation 70 miles away. The march took three days and was not a happy trail. The 35 or so remaining Cupeno had be accused of stealing from the heard of 5000 or so head on the ranch. When the decision of Barker v. Harvey was handed down, the U. S. government offered to buy new land for the Cupeno, but the refused.
Cecilio Blacktooth, spokesman for the Cupa at Agua Caliente Village said, "If you give us the best place in the world, it is not as good as this. This is our home. We cannot live anywhere else; we were born here, and our fathers are buried here."
My first hand evidence for these things is slight, but when did the U.S. purposely give 'relocated' Indians the best lands?
Let me add more of my opinions. Cupa still believe that the area of Warner Springs is sacred. The spirits of their ancestors live in the Cupa as they try to regain their cultural and religious places. Still, just because the Cupa probably have right on their side doesn't me that there isn't a mean spirited Cupa. And is the spirit of Juan Jose ner and of Dona Vincenta Supulved de Carrillo all bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive