Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Cahuilla Homeland

European history in and around what I earlier called the Cahuilla homeland was well begun by 1750. The Spaniards had begun relationships with some native peoples by the mid-1600s! In 1769 when Spain began systematic establishment of missionary and defensive outposts in California and sent expeditions by sea and y land up the peninsula of Lower California, a sequence of events was begun which led to happenings I hope to write more of.

I have begun to look at some of happenings relating to the experiences of certain Spaniards and persons of Spanish heritage from about say 1750 to about 1850 in the region of the Cahuilla homeland.

It was during this time that peoples of many tribes began to learn to communicate in Spanish and learn about Europeans. At the same time the Spanish began to learn much about the Native Peoples.

During this same period people like the Hoopa were already speaking Russian and adopting Russian names. Starting in the Aleutians and Alaska the Russian were trading and trapping well south of their fort near what was to become San Francisco.

Interesting times for Native Peoples.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive