Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Miscelaneous Word Stuff

Our words are important. Most of our important thinking is in words. We can confuse ourselves as well as others with our words. How our thinking is organized is important. We organize most of our thinking around words.

It seems important to consider the definitions, meanings, and referents that we attach to the words of others. Isn't it important to consider the definitions, meanings, and referents important others in our lives attach to our words? Understanding and being understood are states we usually claim to value.

Might not we benefit by acting as though our words were as sacred as our honor? Are we as good as our word? What can be found about 'word' in the Bible?

Consider a word you have used recently in an important situation. How did you understand it? How did your listener understand it? What was your intention?

Your power to discriminate among words and their meanings is important to your relationships, the organization of your thoughts, and the many of reality.

Words help you to share a 'meaningful relationship.'
Words help you interpret a 'meaningful look' to another, or to yourself.

It might benefit us to be a bit more aware of what we are saying. Being unconscious of what we are doing or saying can get us into trouble. Perhaps making a bit more effort to know what we are saying, may be well worth the effort.

If a man says "I am going to leave you in the dust." on the spirit of healthy competition; but, is understood to say, "I am going to bury you." dead or alive; what could be the result?

I seem to be much like the one who says, "How can I tell what I think, until I hear what I say?"
Perhaps, like you, I speak not only to tell others what I think, but to tell myself as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive