Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Mary J.

My father's paternal grandmother was a Carroll. Thanks to the genealogical detective work of my sister, Gerry Hook, I can now be quite sure that my paternal grandmother was born in Ireland in about 1841, and that she died in Iowa on December 8th of 1902. I can also be pretty sure that her mother Margaret married her father, Martin Carroll in Ireland about 1840. She was called Mary J. Carroll. She Married M. William Sheehan in Iowa on November 27th of 1860. They had nine children, among them, my father's father.

Martin Carroll, Mary's father was born in Ireland in about 1810 and died in Iowa in February of 1881. As he is the earliest Carroll we have found, Id like to commemorate the start of his life by reviewing a few of the world happenings of those years.

In 1810 Napoleon was at his Zenith and Simon Bolivar was emerging as a figure in South American politics. Goya was working in the engravings "Los Desastres de la Guerra."

In 1811 Paraguay became independent of Spain and William Henry Harrison, before he became president, defeated the Indians under Tecumseh at Tippecanoe, Indiana. "Tippecanoe and Taylor too." At about the same time "Luddites" destroyed industrial machines in the North of England.

1811 and 1812 was the time of the tremendous New Madrid earthquakes in Missouri, Tennessee, and beyond. The topography was changed greatly. In 1812 earthquakes and after shocks felt in California were Strong enough to be called dreadful by priests at Buenaventura and Capistrano Missions.

I'm running out of time and space and I still haven't written of: the million Irish men, women, and children who starved to death; why we might sing "Its a long way to
Tipperary;" "desert Indians" attacking San Bernardino, California; the founding of the Fenian Society; or an infinity if other happenings.

The earth was hotter than usual during this period.

It's hard to stop when I know that in1813 the waltz was conquering Europe; a Grand Freemason Lodge was being founded; Mexico declared itself independent; Giuseppe Verdi was born; and on and on.

Things just keep happening.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive