Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Paz in La Paz

I´m in La Paz. Tried three hotels last night trying to get a tranquill night´s sleep. Didn´t quit make it. Paid for two hotels. Will try another room in the last one tonight.
El Alto La Paz is enormous. It´s like 3/4 of every village in the Andes has moved there and is well into becoming part of the modern world. Painful process, but we humans are pretty tough.
The airport is in El Alto and I had an ablogging cab driver show me around a bit of that high platau. (I´m getting spellcheck in Spanish again). As the drive down to La Paz proper is a bit expensive I thought a bit of a tour was in the offing.

The rid down was amazing and dramatic. The views of the city are astounding. The road down is good, but very steep and long. La Paz is in a big, hilly valley. The a variety of elevations ads even greater interest to the long, wide, amazing sight.

Its getting a bit harder for me to go into a strange new place and accomodate myself. I would like to get used to the reality of being a 70 year old before I am 75.

Anyway I am more or less accomodated here. Found this little combined coffee house and internet cafe after arranging for a new room, laundry and ironing, having breakfast, buying medication, and a pen this morning after a bad nights sleep which began well after midnight. Not too bad for a 70 year old.

Wonder what Evo will do about persons of capital reach for greatter autonomy a top of the other problems of the country. Some of his moves seem a bit ill advised. He is getting some help from the powers in Cuba and Venezuela, but it doesn´t seem to be quit enough. He still has the overwhelming support of the "working class."

1 comment:

  1. Richard, you're not alone when it comes to irregular sleep patterns. I believe more individuals have trouble sleeping than what you may think.
    I would suppose short daytime naps would remedy that tired feeling. We take Ambein and Lunesta and it helps sometimes, with no next morning hangover from the meds. However, after a while of taking them the effects don't always work and we lay off them for a short time and tough it out then resume taking them.
    Enjoy reading of your travels.
    Love ya, G

    ReplyDelete

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive