Sunday, January 31, 2010

El Alto, Sucre, and Potosi

El Alto is great. It is located on the plain above La Paz. It is something of a native American nation; important politically and something new in the world. I think that officially El Alto is considered part of La Paz.



I believe that Sucre is elegant and comfortable. I suspect that I could live well there. It is the constitutional capital of Bolivia.



I haven't been to Potosi, but suspect that there are facts about it that you can find interesting. Below, I've sketched a few of them for you:

~ You might say that it was built by European energy and initiative, motivated by European greed.

~ Its high. I'd guess that it is over 13,000 feet above sea level.

~ It's located at the foot of Cero Rico. It has been said that with the silver taken
from that 'hill,' a bridge from Potosi to Madrid could be built. I suspect tat it did fiance much of the latter part of the European Renaissance.

~ In 1650, Potosi may have been the most populate city in the world. In that year I believe it had a population of over 160,000 inhabitants. How many people lived in London that year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive