Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Humphry Clinker"

Just finished reading "Humphry Clinker" by Tobias Smollett. It was Smollett's final work and probably his most optimistic. Smollett was a Scott who practiced surgery and knew Italy and Jamaica. He died in Italy on September 17, 1771. "Humphry Clinker" might be called a book of manners and is set in travels in England, Wales, and Scotland. It could serve to enrich ones travels in the area. It's form is of letters among the characters. In fact it seemed to me that the letter form helped to give the characters greater depth. We even see characters understanding or the development of character develop. It gently highlights some noble values, is humorous, and plays out situations and relationships entertainingly and realistically.it praises genuine friendship, organic eating, 'well rounded' learning, holistic health with a mind and body unity, kindness, travel, and temperance.I find myself nodding in agreement when a characters their 'folly can be more provoking than knavery.'In this tasty book I encountered pimps an authors of first distinction.I also found who I heard called a 'gilly' in Ireland may be called a 'Gaelly' in the Highlands. Was also caused to wonder what st Patrick might have ti do with St. Mongah.I liked it.


I'm now reading a work by Edelman and Tononi called "A Universe of Consciousness."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive