Thursday, October 09, 2008

Salto, Uruguay

Have we been paying for wars with paper money and electronic money with less backing then ever? Now that foriegners and a significant numer of US citizens are changeing their saved dollars for other currencies or goods, who has all the dollars?
I do see that my dollars are buying less daily.

I took my first look at Lima since about 1963. I Has changed less than many places I´ve been.

Nearly missed, Montevideo, the handsome capital of Uruguay completely in my dash to the hot water spa of Dayman. Only stayed in Dayman two days and am now in Salto.

Hotels here are mostly booked for the week. There is a big cattle show in town. The cattle business is still big, but does not seem to be growing. Crops are being plated on land that was once grazing land. I was surprised to hear that one of those crops might be rice. The gaucho is almost as hard to find as a cowboy who nis a top hand. Still lots of hard riding to be done on an estancia.

A significant number of Uruguayos have worked, and are working, in Australia. Many are permanant residents of that country. The tend to call Australians a cold people. When I ask how cold they are after a few beers in a bar, they agree that they are not cold at all. Mostly what the mean that they find much less mutual entertaning at peoples homes or even group outtings. In most countries of Latin America there is much more visiting and many more get togethers and parties. As a younger man in earlier times I'd quickly find myself the recipient of a couple of invitations. At each of those two get together I'd get at leaset 3 or 4 more invites.

I still have a bit of broncchitis and a bit of an eye infection, but continue to improve.

2 comments:

  1. It appears that even with your bouts with uncertain health, Richard, you are still on the move and enjoying the time on the road.

    I figured that you and I were born with itchy feet and that mine have been content with life here in Jeff and do not feel the need to be on the move as often as in the past. Hmmmm, is that good? bad? or the way life is. . . .

    BTW, I've not taken the time to post on my blog but we have a couple of new Norwegian cousins. Anita found me via Gerry's Genealogy website at RootsWeb.

    Anita and me, you, Gary, Dorian, Kevin and all our cousins on our fraternal side have a common progenitor Amund Persen JERPSET [born 1758].

    Our relationship with Anita:
    4th cusins twice removed
    - and because some intermarriage way, way back -
    we are also half 8th cousins twice removed.

    How's that for news?

    Love from us to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy. I even find it interesting consulting doctors and famacists about my eyes, lungs, etc.
    One needn't go far to have a novel experience.
    Some day I may get a big sheet of paper and try to draw the branches, roots and trunk of the family tree.
    I love hearing of your new discoveries; many of live and loving persons! My best to Anita.
    Amund Persen 1758. That is going back some. Getting very interesting.
    Still don´ñt get the 4ths and 8ths and removes.
    Great News.

    ReplyDelete

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive