Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Tell me about Troyes, France.



Has it any direct relation to Troy?
I think that before it was called Agustbona Tricassium in the Roman era that it was an important Celtic settlement. During that Roman era it was an important destination on the Via Agrippa to Rome.
It became the home of Patroclus of Troyes, a 3rd century martyr.
It became the capital of the province of Champagne and is where troy weight, of gold fame, originated.
From 1040 t0 1105 it was home of Rashi the important and famous biblical and Talmudic commentator. It is also home to the ancient church of St. Nizier.
The order of the Knights Templar was created there in 1118 by Hugues de Payns.
I think Jean of Arch spent some time there.
Add to the account.


2 comments:

  1. Very energetic blog, I enjoyed that bit. Will there be a part 2?



    Visit my web page - przewodnicy po krakowie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess not. I have waited five years for a commenter to add to our knowledge. A person who passes this way may find it interesting to click on your web page above; I did.

    ReplyDelete

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive