Sunday, June 15, 2008

On the Desert

Many jack-rabbits continue to gather around the outlet to my cooler hose where the flow of precious water is scant. I have never seen so many jacks in so small an area.

I hope they don't get so bold as to enter the patio and eat the cacti there. They did once before. Where marks of their bites were left, it looked like a burro had been feeding.

I couple of years ago the round-tailed ground squirrels became both many and bold. So bold that they not only fed freely in the patio, not only got into every room in the house, but also got into my bed. These animals are not tiny. I wondered how they got into the house.
These animals have short, fine fur of a handsome light tan shading. They have large, round, bright black eyes. Their tail is long and has very short hair. They are capable of giving one a look that seems knowing.

Once, in the house, one of them and I startled one another by both coming around the same corner at the same time from opposite directions. Though I don't remember my own reactions well, the animal's are bright in my minds eye. It leapt into the air so that it was nearly at my eye level (I may have been crouching a bit). Its forelegs extended up and out; its hind legs down and spread, It looked large and its tiny claws shown. Its mouth was opened wide showing white teeth. Pretty fierce for a cute little animal!

Another day, during this time of the round-tails, I covered plants around the place with five gallon buckets in an attempt to protect them. I put rocks on top of and around the buckets. The following day I check my work. The first bucket I picked up uncovered five round-tails and no plant! As I continued checking, It became clear that the were using my buckets as apartments and fast food places.

My cacti continue to take turns blooming. The most recent to flower is a small tame one. Its blossoms are wonderful shades of orange.

Last night I was serenaded, again, by a coyote in my front yard by the mailbox. I trust I won't find it in my bed.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out older posts. Comment on a post by clicking on its title

About Me

My photo
Colombia
I discover, get understanding, enjoy myself, and take care of business.

My Blog List

Blog Archive